Bones Spoilers

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ask Matt: June 6th


Question: Love your column and insight into our favorite shows. One thing that bothered me as Bones' season ended is the dynamic that children will play in the coming season. One thing I enjoyed about the show was that it dealt mostly with the storyline and only gave glimpses each week into character backgrounds, and only when they pertained to the storyline. I'm afraid with the introduction of two babies, it will turn into half soap opera, half procedural. Hodgins was already trying my patience as an insecure, psychotic father to be. He would have been better left as the rich, clever scientist dedicated to his work. No way I see Bones dedicated to her work while she cares for a baby. I know you hate the jump-the-shark term, but this bothers me because I really like the original premise of the show. — John

Matt Roush: Some would probably argue Bones crossed the line into being half-a-soap (if not more) a long time ago. The tone of many of the comments and questions I've been fielding since the reveal of Bones' pregnancy certainly feels that way. Your concern is a fair one, because who wants to tune in to a forensics version of Parenthood? But I imagine they'll soon enough install a nursery adjacent to the Jeffersonian lab, and everyone can get back to business — although it seems like it's been a while since the weekly mystery was the primary focus of this show. Case in point: The next question.

Question: Doesn't everyone realize that Bones did the same thing that The X-Files did many years ago? The main characters hook up off-screen and the result is that the woman (Bones in this case) becomes pregnant. I'm sick of reading stories from the producers about how this was an "original" way to get the characters together. I'm insulted as a fan. I wanted to see that moment between Bones and Booth and now I never will. Even if they do it in a flashback, it won't be the same. What are your thoughts on this? — Rebecca

Matt Roush: I'm afraid I'm of the old school that thinks some things should be left to the imagination, but I'm clearly in the minority on this subject. Carol wrote in wanting someone to explain "how Temperance can be pregnant with Booth's child when we, the audience, were never privy to a sexual relationship between them. I love the idea, but I'm wondering if I missed something." In this case, I think it's implied, because nothing about Bones is immaculate. Others called back to the storyline a while ago about Booth donating sperm to inseminate Bones' eggs, although it seems pretty clear this baby came from their recent snuggle. Anne S, who agrees "there was no doubt in my mind that they were indeed sleeping together," is among those who, like Rebecca, is pleading with Hart Henson to "please give us some bed time that will knock our socks off!!!!" (And we all know Booth is all about the socks.)" Honestly, folks. Isn't this what fan fiction is for? (Or so I hear.)

Source: Ask Matt
Tipster: omelette73
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...